On Oct 5, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

Make sure the Firewire driver is in safemode1 and the sampling rate is exactly the same as what is configured in PowerSDR

Use these parameters:
96K with 1024 buffers
192K with 2048 buffers

Also, check the duration of the DPCs. I suspect you are having something responsible for long ones.

One other thing to check is to make sure the Firewire networking is turned off and if you are using a motherboard Firewire host bus controller, consider one that connects to the PCI/PCIe bus.

I think I have mentioned this before but perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a hardware compatibility list. Both the Solaris and Linux communities keep lists of hardware combinations known to work properly. The list should include motherboards, processors, firewire controller boards, NICs, graphics boards, etc.

The other thing that should be emphasized is that the computer is a *MAJOR* component of the radio. To me it makes absolutely no sense to spend $3000 on a radio and then try to use whatever computer you have lying around, one that is probably doing everything else in your house too, including sending SPAM and probing other people's computers because it has been taken over by some black-hat hacker. (Something like 60% of PCs running Windows are thought to be compromised -- I bet at least some of you have hacked computers and don't know it.) If you are going to spend that kind of money on a radio, it makes sense to spend another $500 to build a dedicated system made up of components that are 100% known to work with the F5K and PowerSDR. To me that is cheap insurance.

--

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com