Pete, Dudley,

I used protection circuit outside the SDR-1000 in the both audio
cables. It was with a 100 ohm current limiting resistor and two
opposite parallel connected strings of 3 silicon diodes (1N4148).
Nominally this limits the input voltage to 2.1Vpp.

In my case also the unit from the first production run showed
parasitic oscillations that were cured by grinding off some copper
foil around the input/output pads to reduce the ground capacitance.
Additional 3 units from the later production runs are completely
stabile.

Ahti