On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Eric Wachsmann <e...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
> The maximum audio buffer size in PowerSDR is 2048, so I wouldn't recommend
> going higher than that in the driver.  Note that the DSP buffers can go as
> large as 4096.  Note that the DSP buffer size (not the audio buffer size)
> affects the filter shape.

Ah. I thought they were the same parameter. So they have to be set in
different places? I need to go back and look then.

> You are correct that multiples of the driver
> could be used in the audio setting and it will work.  But you'd have to ask
> yourself...why?  ;)

No, I am not asking myself "why" because I don't know. (I have guesses
and suspicions but I do not claim knowledge.) I am asking *you* if it
makes a difference because you are the official software guru and can
tell me whether or not it makes a difference. I also am asking what
the preferred setting should be.

So it sounds to me like the DSP buffer should be a multiple of the
audio buffer and that the audio buffer should be as large as possible.
OTOH, smaller buffer sizes mean lower latency but probably higher CPU
utilization due to buffer processing. Latency might be an issue with
the various ARQ modes, e.g. AMTOR, PACTOR, packet, etc. (Do you have
specific information about the relationship between buffer size and
latency?)

So, it sounds to me that the following table makes sense:

Sample rate          Driver buffer  audio buffer           DSP buffer
48Ksps                 1024                     1024             1024
96Ksps                 2048                     2048             2048
192Ksps                2048                     2048            4096

Do you agree with these settings? Is there any case where you would
use different settings?

I get the feeling that, while PowerSDR has a lot of "knobs" for
changing things, most (almost all?) of the time these will be left
alone at some optimum setting. I haven't seen a listing of these
things in one place, maybe in one of the knowledge center articles I
missed. If it is all written down somewhere and I missed then I
apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Thanks Eric.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL