FLEX-5000 Users (and future FLEX-3000 users):

We have received some questions recently about the driver buffer size
setting and how it relates to the buffer size in the PowerSDR Setup Form ->
Audio Tab.  We thought we would clarify it here on the reflector so it might
help others that had the same question.

The basic idea is to match the two settings at a reasonable size for your
sample rate and system performance.  A good starting place for the default
sample rate of 96kHz is to use a buffer size of 2048 in both places (driver
control panel and Audio Tab in PowerSDR Setup Form).  If you make a change
to the buffer size in the Audio Tab, you'll want to make the same change in
the driver control panel.  At no time should the Audio buffer size be
smaller than the driver buffer size as this will cause audio distortion
which sounds similar to RF.

At some point we hope to enable this process to happen automatically and
have requested such an interface from our chip vendor.  Until then, we plan
to add a pop up to remind you to setup the driver when changing the Audio
buffer size.

If you have further questions about the interactions of the buffers, there
is an excellent section in the appendix of our Operating Manual that
describes in more detail the interactions and ways to optimize for various
operating preferences.  Thanks for your time and enjoy your radio.

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems
"*Tune in Excitement!" ™*