Since the very first C language version of the sdr,  we integrated the
received power in the filter (by summing the bins of the filter and
relying on parseval's relation).  This is indeed in do_rx_meter in
sdr.c   The thing to be aware of is that do_rx_meter is used for all
metering in the receiver and it operates in many different states.

A few more minutes of looking and this would have all been trivially obvious.

Tune to a place with no signal and have a (say) 500 Hz filter
selected.  The S meter will read above the noise floor in the power
spectrum and the wider you make the filter, the more it goes up.  This
is exactly because it is the integrated power that passes through the
filter and exactly how it should operate.

Bob