It's interesting using the PowerSDR panadapter to examine signals. I'll often see a strong SSB station with lots of opposite sideband only a little ways down in amplitude. I first wondered if it was my receiver until I looked around and found equally strong stations with no opposite sideband.

Mike - AA8K

Tim Ellison wrote:
Just a short QST

There were several of us running FLEX-3000s last night on 40m (7.181) @ 0130 UTC that
gathered a fairly large round table before propagation changed swiftly we all dropped
into the noise.  It was really fun to listen to other FLEX-3000s and talking about the
radio in general.  Particularly interesting is when you start using PowerSDR to record
stations over the air and play back their audio.  Then other ops (usually non Flexers)
start gathering like crazy.  Dale WA8SRA actually helped on guy, Don K4ENE,  identify and
rectify a particularly loud noise on his signal.  Using the Panadapter, he was able to
identify the interference as being  a really annoying 120 Hz peak.  Of all things, it was
isolated to vibrational noise coming from his AMP being transmitted down the mic boom and
into his PR-781 mic.  Now try that with a "firmware defined radio". I think we
have defined a new branch of science; flextroscopy - characterizing over the air RF
signals using an FlexRadio SDR  H
I HI.

If there is some interest in making an informal gathering on 40m, we can try to
do this several times a week.

-Tim
-----
W4TME