Now that the 6m E-season is starting, I've had a load of fun with the
3000 on the Magic Band.
It is really great to see the activity pop up on the panadaptor, and
also see (and avoid) the birdies and general crud that is the bane of
operating 6m in an urban area.
I was worried that I may not have enough sensitivity, based on comments
received from those running the F5000, but I really don't have an issue
with that.
Going from a good 50ohm termination to the actual antenna, a 6M7JHV at
60ft, I see between 10 and 15dB increase in noise level depending on
direction. Adding an external preamp would not give any benefit in my
case, although for someone in a much quieter location that may be desirable.
I do have a precision noise head, and measured the noise figure at
7.6dB, using the Y-factor method. That is pretty good, compared to many
other rigs, and is certainly good enough for my location. All
measurements are with the internal preamp ON.
The receiver is essentially bomb-proof. I have a number of well equipped
stations very close to me that used to completely flatten my 706, but
with the 3000 I don't even know they are on, except for the huge peaks
on the panadaptor!
I have worked a few stations on 6 running the F5000, but so far noone
using a F3000. I know they are out there; load up a piece of wire and
get on. For the next couple of months the band is going to be hopping!
73 Alf NU8I
Scottsdale AZ DM43an
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/