Joe,

See my comments below

-Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of Joseph White
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:16 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] Fldigi

Can someone shed some light on what Fldigi is and what must be used for?
[Tim] It is a digital mode program like MixW, but it is platform independent

I am just hearing about it today.  I will be running Windows XP as provided by
FLEX Radio on the FLEX 5000C.  I am now wondering how many different software
programs I am going to have to run to do digital and logging.
[Tim] Depends on what you want to do and the different hardware you want to
connect to your software defined radio.

You will need two basic third-party programs

(1) Com0Com - (free program) to create a virtual com port pair to allow a
digital mode program, logger, DDUtil or other CAT enabled program to
communicate with the radio (PowerSDR).  See the following KC articles
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50345.aspx
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50062.aspx
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50078.aspx

(2) VAC (virtual audio cable: http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html) -
(must be purchased, demo program is not usable).  If you want to operate
digital modes, you need to seriously consider this software package.  This
program transfers RX and TX audio from PowerSDR to a digital mode program
running on the same computer as PowerSDR.  This software is optional, but if
you do not use it, you have to create an external sound card interface.  The
convenience and increase in you digital quality signal is work the purchase
price. See the following KC articles
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50060.aspx
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50230.aspx

I hope I did not sell my IC-7800 too soon.
[Tim] You didn't.  There is a bit of a learning curve to get started, but there
are a lot of helpful people on the Reflector and the KC has a lot of how to
articles about different things you can use with your FLEX-5000C.  Dudley
(FlexRadio Support) is a wealth of information and he will get you going.

Looking forward to getting the new FLEX5000C in and maybe then I will
understand it better.
[Tim] Having  it to work with is a big help.  A lot less abstract.

I have many unanswered questions.
[Tim] You have come to the right place to get them answered

Can someone tell me how to do a search on the knowledge base?  I did not see a
search place.  Now mind you, that I am legally blind, that has not gotten in my
way so far.  I now have a 40" monitor and ZoomText to be able to see anything
on the computer.  ZoomText is a hog on the resources.

[Tim] Open up the Knowledge Center (http://kc.flex-radio.com) On the right hand
side is a small blue box that says "Quick Search".  Enter a keyword, like "CAT"
into the text entry box that has the word "Keywords..." in it and click on the
Search button.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Joe White - KE4TV