On Jun 24, 2009, at 8:30 PM, Dave Gomberg wrote:

At 19:16 6/24/2009, Joseph White wrote:
I will be running Windows XP as provided by
FLEX Radio on the FLEX 5000C.  I am now wondering how many different
software programs I am going to have to run

Good question. Is there an overview of PowerSDR and its friends so that one can understand how all the pieces fit together?

First, PowerSDR is the radio itself. Your Flex 5000 or Flex 3000 plus your computer running PowerSDR *IS* the radio.

If you are running a traditional radio and connecting it to your computer to do digital modes, e.g. RTTY, PSK31, Olivia, etc., you have to connect your radio to your computer and then run some digital mode software on the computer. The speaker output of the radio connects to the input of the computer's sound card. The output of the sound card connects to the mic input (or line input if your radio has such) of your radio. You also need a way to key the transmitter so there is some kind of third connection from the computer to the PTT on the radio, usually through some kind of an adaptor.

Once you have the physical connection you need to run the right software on the computer to enable the digital modes. There are many possibilities. For example: Ham Radio Deluxe with Digital Mode 780, fldigi, MixW, etc. Some programs just do the digital modes and some are more all-encompassing including rig control (frequency, mode, filters, etc.) and/or logging. If you are running Windows and want an all-in-one program to do digital modes, rig control, and logging, your two best choices are probably Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD -- includes DM780) and fldigi. If you are the kind who wants *ALL* the bells-and- whistles, HRD is the way to go. If you want the essentials in an easier-to-understand package, I would recommend fldigi. Both are excellent programs and both are free.

If the program is going to control the radio and get information from the radio, you need another connection between computer and radio. This is the CAT connection and usually is an RS-232 (serial) port connection. Through this connection the radio communicates frequency, mode, power, filters, and just about everything else the radio knows how to do. The logging program will use this connection to automatically fill in a lot of information from a contact for you. Conversely the computer can use this connection to control the radio. Some radios (Icom comes to mind here) need an adaptor box between the computer and radio.

Are you with me so far? Now we need to apply this the flex radios and PowerSDR.

In the previous example, the radio and computer were separate and connected together by cables and adaptor boxes. But what happens when the "radio" is inside the computer with all the other programs? There is no place to plug the cables. Still, we need an "audio cable" for receive audio, an "audio cable" for transmit audio, a "PTT control line", and a "serial cable" for CAT. In the case of the flex radios the cables come in the form of extra software that runs inside the computer.

To connect the audio signal from the radio to the digital mode program, instead of a wire we use Virtual Audio Cable (VAC). When you set up VAC it looks like a sound card to both devices. PowerSDR sends its "audio" to VAC thinking it is talking to a sound card. Your digital mode program connects to VAC thinking it is getting audio from a sound card. VAC acts as a virtual "patch panel" to send the digital audio directly from one to the other. This keeps the digital signal as "pure" as possible.

PowerSDR doesn't need a separate PTT line since it can accept a PTT command via CAT. Instead of grounding a line to turn the transmitter on (which the Flex radios can do -- there is a traditional PTT line) PowerSDR can accept a "transmitter on" and "transmitter off" command. This simplifies life and reduces the number of necessary connections.

So how do we get the CAT commands to go between PowerSDR and your digital mode program? We use a virtual com port program com0com. com0com looks like two serial ports connected back to back. PowerSDR opens one thinking it is talking to a hardware serial port. Your digital-mode/logging/rig-control program opens the other corresponding virtual port. Now whenever PowerSDR sends a message it is received by the digital mode program and vice versa. This is how the CAT commands and messages flow between PowerSDR and your digital mode programs.

So to make this all work you need four programs: PowerSDR (the radio), VAC (the "audio cables"), com0com (the serial ports), and your favorite digital mode and rig control program. (I use fldigi most of the time but also keep HRD on and use that for more general purpose logging.)

Tim has given you the pointers to the articles in the knowledge base that will help you set up all the programs. Hopefully this little overview will help you understand how it all goes together.

--

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com