No argument on any point you made, Bob.

I can only say from experience that making multichannel, low-latency streaming audio work on the machines while running Windows has been a significant challenge; at least for me. I don't question that MatLab and any number of heavy-hitter Windows apps run just fine, but unless you're streaming low-latency audio at high bitrates in and out of MatLab (which is sometimes but not often done) I don't believe it's quite the same thing.

Sorry all, my comments probably have fallen into the "not helping" category. We could argue this one 'till the cows come home and it really doesn't have much to do with the Flex per se.

73,
Jim, N7CXI

Robert Jefferis wrote:
Jim,

You are absolutely correct - it is not FLEX's fault. But, there is no fault, per se. Sure, the bios and drivers may be proprietary to Apple, just like any particular PC manufacturer's bios is considered to be proprietary to that particular manufacturer. Apple has to provide drivers to map keyboard, mouse, and other overhead functions into the MS world. However, a case in point: if you take the service control thread from today and try to turn things off or modify behavior, the Boot Camp/MS OS user finds that the behavior is identical to a PC from any PC manufacturer. When Apple finally decided to abandon the Power PC and use Intel guts, they also made a marketing commitment to create and maintain Boot Camp. I use a number of engineering application software packages (MatLab, just to name one, that is a serious, high powered windows only application, not a toy) that are only supported under Windows. They all install and behave normally. I certainly did NOT update to an iMAC and Boot Camp just for Amateur Radio. Apple is committed to this duality. Us iMAC users enjoy the best of both worlds.

Bob KF6BC