Hi Brian

I have a couple of concerns with this logic.  The largest concern is that
Windows should never be used to run anything in production or anything to do
real time processing.  It is just not designed that way from the ground up.

That being said, we, as a group, need to come up with a list of required
services.  Those that need to be run when you are a single box, not
connected to the internet and known to work.  If there is such a list that
is bullet proof and works, I would love to see it.

Another list of services would be those that would be for a box that is
internet connected, but behind a firewall (not run on the box) and that
firewall would also do stateful packet inspection (like Astaro
www.astaro.com).  As a home user, you can get that for free.

You can very safely run without AV as long as you don't connect/browse.  If
you do, only to those few web sites you trust.  Many Trojans are installed
as scripts that come with the web page, and only packet inspection will
reliably find them.

Once we get a solution that is linux based (a real time OS), then I think
you will see the ability to run much better on less hardware.

Lastly, we are headed to the point where the only way this will run reliably
is if you buy the box and rf deck from the vender and you are not allowed to
modify it at all (sort of like every other HF rig).  :)

Mike VA3MW

http://walkerphoto.blogspot.com/2009/07/remote-ham-radio-operating.html