Hi Brian

I don't disagree with you at all as we are both on the same page.  I
reviewed speedvista but I didn't get the success with it I wanted.

The problem that the lay person has is that some of the service descriptions
are vague at best and it is difficult to understand their dependencies.
Yes, there is LOTS of stuff we don't need.

My HP XP box just worked.  VAC and everything else (not a laptop).

My laptop is Vista 64 and it took the latest drivers to get the digital
signature to work.  Other than that, I did nothing to it.  It does seem the
Bluetooth stack seems to consume lots of CPU (and this is a fast 4G laptop
with an ATI radeon video card).

I did lots of AV testing and settled on Bitdefender as it didn't consume as
much cpu as most of the others.  I even run it on my Netbook now (CA on my
Netbook just killed it).

As an example, you can turn off RPC, but what if your backup software needs
it (mine does - NetWorker).  Maybe we (us), should be building VMware images
that just work for flex radios.  That would certainly help with a debugging
platform.

Astaro has the same features (it seems) as m0n0wall.  And, you can run it on
your own box for free as well.  It self installs with its own OS.  As well,
you get hourly updates to your threats, so you personal database is being
updated in real time.  Pretty cool.  I will have to look at m0n0wall the
next time I build a firewall for someone as an option.

Short story that we have all figured out.  It does just work on XP.  Too bad
it can be difficult to downgrade a new box to XP.  I tried with an eMachine
and it was a real pain to find all the drivers.  eMachine (or Gateway) had
removed all the xp drivers from their web site once they start shipping
Vista computers.  After a weeks worth of work, I got it to 90%, but
continued to have sound problems which was too bad.

The sad thing is that if Flex (and all of us as a support group) want to
move this into the next level, the next group of appliance hams just don't
have the skill or the time to devote to downgrading to xp.  And, Win7 is a
bit of a stretch in the future (not that much, put people are slow to
adopt).

There is no perfect answer here.  However, it does look like a multi OS
solution for the Flex is just around the corner as well.

Many 73.. Mike VA3MW

Blog:  http://walkerphoto.blogspot.com