In Canada it is much simpler. We are only limited by the bandwidth of the transmission. We can send narrow band transmissions in areas with the maximum bandwidth is 6khz. We just can't send a 6khz transmission in an area where the limit is 1Khz. http://www.rac.ca/en/rac/services/bandplans/allband.php

Simply put, legally, we can do SSB from 3.5 to 4.0 mhz if we wish to. 30m is limited to 1khz. Hence the reason we can work SSB 40M down to 7.0mhz as well (morally, we try to stay above 7.040).

We can also do 20khz wide above 28.0 mhz and 30khz wide from 50.0 to 54.0 mhz.
I guess the government took the lazy way out! :)

Mike VA3MW

FireBrick wrote:
Probably the same guys who hear a guy at 18105.0 rtty saying 5 to 10 up and go and transmit 10 up....

Not sure what VE rules are...but I know I can't operate digital in any USA designated phone portion.
Same with 30....but the flex won't let you transmit above 10.1499999.