Chasing RF is a lot like walking in a mine field.  Taking one step at a time
can be most prudent.

Hello,

I 'd like to share my experience transitioning to the Flex from a
traditional radio (756 Pro).  Sharing my experience might help others who
are setting up their stations for the first time.

I run power and had resolved (or perhaps preempted) RF issues by getting the
RF as far away from the radio as possible.  I made certain that my
transceiver and the amp it was connected to wasn't "inadvertently" part of
my antenna system.  Because my antenna is about 30 ft. away, I knew that I
would be in a strong field.  I also knew that not having issues at 100 watts
didn't necessarily mean that things would behave the same way at 1500 watts.
So I beefed up the ground system and established a hefty common point
ground.  Everything worked fine on all bands.  Had this not been the case, I
would have had to revisit any standing waves that were on my transmission
line and "by default" on the equipment it was connected to.

Unlike most hams, I didn't have a computer sitting next to my radio nor did
I attempt to use one while I was on the air.  I knew that the mouse pads on
several notebooks in the house would screw up while transmitting on 75 but
this wasn't the case with a desktop used in our basement office.  We used a
wireless mouse there.   While waiting for the Flex to be shipped, the Dell
computer  I had ordered for the Flex arrived and I put it into service
exactly where it would be placed in actual operation.  I made sure I had
grounded the cabinet and I cut the safety ground on the power cord so I
wouldn't have a ground loop there (my bonding to the common point ground
provided a much better safety ground).  I was pleased to find that the Dell
worked fine on all frequencies at full 1500 watts key down.  Having the
computer located in a strong RF field was not an issue.

My next step was to install and test a piece of outboard audio equipment
that was new to my station and something I planned to use with the Flex.  I
also added a condenser microphone that I felt may be more prone to problems
when operated in a large electric field.  I was correct.  I monitored the
output of the mixer and could hear RF.  If I muted the microphone the RF
also went away.  A few ferrites on the Microphone cable at the mixer input
resolved the issues.  I was all ready for the Flex and what would be the
last steps.  If the Flex had trouble operating in an RF environment it would
be immediately evident.  I took a few precautions by adding six ferrites on
the firewire cable.  The Flex worked just fine connected to the computer.  I
did have some issues with the connection to the outboard audio gear but that
was easily resolved with an inexpensive audio isolation transformer between
the Flex and the mixer.

My point in sharing this is to highlight the gradual steps I took when
transitioning to the Flex.  Doing things in order meant I would tackle any
RF issues in stride rather than after everything was all set up.  With
confidence, I readily tell other hams that the Flex is well designed and
will work just fine in a strong RF environment.

One final comment, ferrites are wonderful creations and every ham should
have a box of them around for all kinds of RFI issues.  But ferrites can't
substitute for sound engineering practices.  Ham radio is as learn as you go
endeavor and no two shacks are alike.  Expect frustrations; but know that
with patience most RF issues can be resolved.  If you have an issue that has
got you pulling your hair out, don't hesitate to ask others for help.  As
the saying goes, most of us have been there and done that.  I promise you'll
get lots of answers with no two being alike.  This forum is a great place to
start;  collectively, it is a literal storehouse of expertise and
experience. If you feel that I might be able to help, please don't hesitate
to contact me off line.  I'll do my best to help you.

Jim AB2CD