At 23:35 12/5/2009, AB2CD wrote:
 ferrites can't substitute for sound engineering practices.

I agree with this Jim, but I think sometimes they are necessary. My rig has about 25 ferrites right now, but I think there is only one that matters (I just haven't tried removing the others yet).

The "last" one I added was on the unbalanced, unshielded lead between the mic output and the cable that connected it to the F3K. Actually, I added one at each end. That killed my problem dead. My theory is that the RF (which is fairly strong with my 1KW antenna about 9' from the cable in question) was getting into the RJ-45 mic input of the F3K and raising heck inside the F3K case.

How would you "sound engineering practice" your way out of this problem without modifying the F3K and voiding the warranty? I considered a shielded cable from the mic to the back panel where it could come in thru pins 1&2 of the Flexwire, but I was afraid that might cripple future use of
the Flexwire.   Any comments?

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html