Gerald,

Thank you very much for monitoring this discussion and soliciting the
community's feedback.

There is very little that needs to be done, IMHO, in order to make the F5K a
killer SO2R combination.  The required changes I believe are strictly in
software.

First, let's define SO2R for the purpose of sharing common use case.  In a
general SO2R case, we have 2 transceivers that have the capability of receiving
on 2 bands at the same time or transmitting on 1 band while receiving on the
second band.  Each transceiver has its own antenna and amplifier.  Antenna
switching is done by a dedicated SO2R antenna switch, which allows any radio to
use any available antenna (e.g., 2 X 10 switch).

The F5K already has all the ingredients to make SO2R work- plenty of antenna
ports, PTT lines, and the ability to receive while transmitting.  What is
needed is a simple change in the software that defines antenna and PTT key line
selections per VFO rather than per band.  For example, you want to be able to
use RX1/ANT1/PTT1 for VFO A and RX2/ANT2/PTT2 for VFO B regardless of band
(leave per band antenna selection to the SO2R switch).
You may want to consider adding a SO2R option to the antenna selection dialog
box (simple versus expert selection) and either give the user the ability to
make the above choices or just hardcode the algorithm.  I don't think anybody
would care what the antenna selections are as long as you have 2 separate TX,
PTT, and RX ports, 1 for each VFO.

With respect to audio, the N1MM logger manual states that the logger can do
SO2R RTTY with a single audio card as long as each radio goes into its own
channel, e.g. Radio A is L and Radio B is R. MMTTY seems to transmit the same
AFSK audio to both channels but that's OK because the SO2R box only routes PTT
to one of the radios at a time.

We didn't talk about the CAT interface.  N1MM supports both SO2R and SO2V(FO)
sets up and will do the TX focus switch in the case of SO2V.  You may want to
consider creating 2 separate CAT ports, one for each radio in the F5K, to make
the F5K appear as a true SO2R setup to loggers.

I hope this helps.