The current situation with Pretty Betty using a recent model firmware and recent driver (neither yet released, all of this in development and not available on the web site) IN THE MONTH LONG EFFORT ON CW is producing some results.

Receive to transmit transition performance:

CW performance has been dramatically improved with Pretty Betty using new firmware and new mechanisms for control of the hardware. It involved making changes to the firmware in the radio, the generation code in DttSP, and the GUI code which coordinates it all. We found numerous synchronization delays and repaired all of them we could so far. We have the radio hardware switching in under 30ms. The TX is fully stable with little variability in elements, no truncation of first element when going from RX to TX in 30ms. It sounds good in monitor and it sounds good on another receiver.

Transmit to receive performance:

On the reverse side, we have achieved stability of the receive system by 70ms. Usability (with some transient response still occurring) happens in 25-30ms depending on the radio. So if we use the standard measure T=1200/W where T is the length of a morse element in ms and W is the words per minute, you would miss one dit while the receive system recovers if the other side was sending ~40 wpm. This is not 60 wpm QSK performance and no one says any different. We are investigating why there is a transient to see what can be done about reducing this. If that is successful, changes to allow for this level of operation must be made to the AGC code to preserve state where appropriate when you key and release the key in the radio.

To not miss a dit from someone sending 40 wpm, 1200/40 = 30ms, it has to switch faster than this The BEST QSK rigs on the market now measure transient responses and switching times on the order of 20ms which would allow us to be a real QSK operation at speeds approaching 60 wpm if we get there. I hope everyone appreciates how much effort a small company is putting into working on this for the 20 people in these forums who can operate 40 wpm at anything like QSK level. I know FOUR but one of them happens to be bald, fat, loud and carry's a big $tick. ;-). Of course, Flex would like to attract NEW purchasers who might not buy the radio if they are not able to send and receive 60 wpm QSK with it (irrespective of the fact that if their life depended on it, they would be dead in less than a couple of dits).

Things are much better and I see more light approaching from the far end of the coding tunnel.

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.