The interesting thing about all this is the DPC latency vs. performance is a
binary situation.  It works until it doesn't.  You don't observe a gradual
degradation of performance.

I think what you are dealing with when you are within the "acceptable range" of
DPC latency is headroom to a certain degree.  I have to agree with Neal is if
it works and you are happy, there really isn't a reason to muck with it or
spend $200 bucks to get a 15% reduction in DPC latency if your average is below
100 us.

Does lowering the DPC latency numbers give you better "protection" when running
other programs?  Absolutely not.  Example, I have a Core 2 Duo machine whose
average DPC latency is ~50us.  I can load up several other programs, some ham
related, others not and now my average latency numbers are ~110 us with
"spikes" up to 250 us.  Still VERY respectable.  Now, I can load this one
little OBNOXIOUS program and WHAM!  PowerSDR locks up repeatedly and
reproducibly.  That program is MS Outlook using the HTTP/RPC transport.  Will a
20us DPC latency machine stop this from happening? No, it will not because
Outlook will still generate 4000+ us DPC latencies.  The only way to reduce DPC
latencies that are this high is to stop using programs that cause you grief.
Now, if you average system DPC latency is on the order of 1000 us, then by all
means getting a PC that has a MUCH lower average DPC latency will allow you to
run things on your PC that you might otherwise not be able to do.

The bottom line is usability.  If PowerSDR is working with little to no (my
preference) freezes, then it really doesn't matter.  BTW, not all PowerSDR
"freezes" are DPC related.  If you have low DPC latency and PowerSDR is
freezing up, you a RFI issue.  Either near field RF exposure or more likely
common mode RF currents are getting back into the computer via the Firewire
cable.  Makes sure the computer and SDR hardware are grounded well.

-Tim