I have asked this same question several different times in different ways and have not got a definitive answer yet. I believe there are some here who would have you believe that if you do not run WIN XP and have 20us DPC or less, PSDR is not going to run properly. My own one month experience with Flex 5000a shows this NOT to be true, Before I tweaked my computer I did not have DPC's under 400-500us and occasional blips at 1000us. The DPC checker in the Flex driver said I could run in normal mode. I instead ran in Safe mode 1 per the Flex manual. I had NO lockups and NO problems with audio RX or TX, made at least 50-60 QSOes cw and SSB and RTTY.

Then I got to tweaking the computer. I run (HORRORS) Vista - I can run WIN XP but much prefer WIN Vista for many reasons. It is superior to Win XP in many areas. I refuse to give up the many improved features of Vista just to run a radio.

I went to Black Viper and Tweak Hound websites. Tweaked my services as much as possible. Then I got the sysinternals program and eliminated Many programs I no longer even had from autorunning.. The end result after all this is my DPC's are now under 20 us. YES, I am running Vista with a 4 year old HP A1450n AMD 4200 dual core computer and get DPC's of 25 us or less........ Note my HP has an ASUS motherboard and I use the internal motherboard (Agere) Firewire port.... Low DPC's are very possible with an off the shelf computer that does not run Win XP.. You will have to work at it.. BUT - - - - - - - - - - -

I notice NO difference in the operation of PSDR. It runs the same as it did before I did all the tweaking.

My Present Take on all this: Tweaking is fine, it will not hurt. DPC differences between under 20us and a few hundred us will not show up in the operation of PSDR..

Stan K9IUQ

Ross Stenberg wrote:
Neil, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I see that your goal is avg 20us DPCs. What is your take on performance hits due to higher DPCs? I believe the Flex position is that performance should be acceptable if DPCs are no more that 1000us as shown on the their driver DPC latency checker. Does it really make a difference if ones DPC is 138us or 543us?

   73 Ross  K9COX