On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Tim Ellison <telli...@itsco.com> wrote:

> I agree 100% and have a two word solution; Hardware Firewalls.
>
> There are lots of solutions in this area.  One easy one is to re-use an
> older PC and load one of the multitudes of free open source Linux firewall
> packages to protect your *entire* home network.

This is what I use: http://m0n0.ch/wall/

I recommend it highly. You can use an old, beater of a PC to run it. It has
its own OS, a version of BSD unix, so you don't need to pay for an operating
system to run it.

I run mine on a dedicated single-board computer that boots from flash.

> Firewalls do not belong on the end user device.  They belong at the ingress
> point of your network where a common security policy can be implemented and
> managed appropriately.

I second that notion. The only reason one needs a firewall on one's computer
is because there is stuff running on your computer that shouldn't be.
Remember, if a program is not running, it cannot be used to compromise your
computer. Windows has a LOT of stuff running that isn't needed. And adding
yet another program in order to block access to other programs that aren't
needed doesn't strike me as the right solution.

--
73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL