Michael

Something you said "My antivirus is
Microsoft Security Essentials (which is free)" caught my eye.

If you have the firewall component of any anti-virus program enabled, it can
cause DPC hits if you are looking at something with the computer on the web at
the same time you are running Power SDR. I found that out after pulling lots of
hair out and trying to figure out why I got a crazy drop out every time I
looked at Google Mail while running my Flex 3000.

It's really up to the individual user to figure out if they want the added
protection of a software firewall running all the time or not, but having such
a product that in effect scans every page you load from the web for virus every
time it opens a page can sometimes cause "funnies". Of course some folks run a
dedicated Flex computer, with nothing else going on, but I'd guess that many
others are multitasking.

I'm on a custom built AMD 550 dual core machine running XP by the way; more
cores, other OS, more memory, the phase of the moon, your bank balance and
other factors may effect your mileage, but if you are getting weird behavior
check what happens when you turn off your software firewall. You can by the way
disable most for a limited period of time, with the program turning itself back
on after some period of time.