From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of John Maetta
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:16 AM
To: 'FlexRadio Group'
Subject: [Flexradio] Flex-1500 external equipment sequencing issue...

Gentlemen,

My plans were to use the Flex-1500 for digital, CW and SSB EME (moonbounce)
and replace my TS-790 with transverters.
My current configuration is WSJT, VAC, Serial Port Manager and PowerSDR
2.0.8. This combination seems to work well together and it was time to
interface the Flex-1500 and PowerSDR to my EME equipment.

But, after several attempts to reliably interface the Flex-1500 with my
sequencer to control my mast mounted preamp, driver amp and power amp, I
have determined the following:

When WSJT transmits, the PowerSDR and the Flex outputs Flexwire PTT out and
RF immediately, as verified by a watt meter. The Flexwire PTT is asserted to
late to start any sequencer and will cause the RF to destroy the preamp or
amplifier relays by 'hot keying'.
Also, the Flex-1500 can not be keyed by the last event in the sequence.
Applying a PTT from the sequencer to either the MIC jack or the Flexwire PTT
In jack will key the Flex-1500, but not key PowerSDR and transmit.

So bottom line, we need to have two programmable delays.
1) PowerSDR TX delayed from PTT inputs (CAT, flexwire HW PTT and mic PTT)
and...
2) PTT Flexwire output delayed from PTT inputs. Then we can get to a minimum
configuration for VHF/UHF use.

Come on Flex, help us transverter operators out.  Give us that delay between
Flexwire PTT and PowerSDR, whether PTT is initiated from MIC, Flexwire PTT
In or digital mode.  Sequencing external equipment is a basic operating
procedure that VHF/microwave enthusiasts employ.  Right now, the Flex-1500
doesn't seem to deliver that operability for a radio that was advertised as
" The FLEX-1500 comes packed with features that make it ideally positioned
to be the ultimate low cost, high performance IF deck for VHF-microwave
transverter operation. "  True, if you use just the Flex1500 with a low
power transveter and don't have expensive external equipment such as a
preamp, drivers and power amps.

If any of you Flex-1500 users have reliably conquered this problem, post up
your method(s).

73,

John N6VMO