On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, William H. Fite <omni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All I can say is that its contribution to the performance of the FT950 is
> noticeable, but just barely.   O' course, nobody ever nominated the 950 for
> having the receiver of the year.

The real advantage comes when the receiver is faced with front-end signals
from very powerful, near-band emitters. A 10kW (+70dBm) BCB station a few
miles away sitting just below the 160m band is going to be pretty darned
tough to get rid of using just the standard 160m bandpass filters. And I
know that we tend to think of overload as being a threshold thing, i.e. the
offending signal has to reach a certain level before we start seeing IMD
products but that is not entirely true. It begins to effect receiving
performance long before you reach the level where it begins to produce
compression. Getting rid of undesired cruft before it can reach any of the
active, non-linear components is always a good thing.

I have to admit that the Heros Tiny SCR preselector mated with the F5K looks
like a real treat.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.