I wish I could +1 this even if it's a bit off topic.

On 07/16/2011 07:57 PM, Rick McClelland, AA5S wrote:
I saw a posting not long ago from a guy who hung a wire antenna by using a
golf ball with some type of small turnbuckle driven through to hold a
fishing line. Today, I tried using a golf ball and a cotter pin that I
bought from Home Depot. I used a C-clamp vice-grip to hold the ball as I
drilled a hole through the center. The cotter pin fit perfectly and was
nearly flush with the golf ball on both sides.   I bought a couple hundred
yard roll of fishing line and pulled about 100 feet onto the ground, cut it
from the roll and tied it to the cotter pin. I'm not a great athlete but I
was able to zing the golf ball about 40' up into a willow tree and pull my
rope through.

I've been at my present QTH for about two months and my temporary antenna
had been a single band 40 meter end fed dipole at 20' but now I have a 2
band end fed (Par Electronics EF-20/40) at 40'. This is a nice improvement
and it was much cheaper using a golf ball than buying a super-de-duper,
tennis-ball rocket launching contraption to accomplish the same thing.
Admittedly, the super-de-duper tennis ball rocket launching contraption can
get a line 100' into a tree but if your needs are more modest, I recommend a
golf ball, a cotter pin and hand launching the golf ball.   It works in some
fairly challenging situations.

---
Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO