On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Brett Gazdzinski <
brett.gazdzin...@verizon.net> wrote:

> ...makes you wish they would just put a chip in the radio to do the
> processing (without windows) and just have the computer display and control
> the radio...
> =====

This topic has come up before. Having detection, filtering, etc. done by a
general-purpose PC with a general-purpose OS, shared with a lot of other
programs which are sending interrupts and going about their business, is an
idea that was good for proof of concept, but it does not seem as if it can
be the future of SDR.

The ham-gear world already has lots of entries with excellent on-board DSP.
The upcoming Elecraft KX3 will have just what Brett describes: an on-board
CPU to do the detection etc., sending IQ signals out to an external PC that
can do the display/control via a program such as NaP3. I'm guessing that
the next generation of SDR radios will embody this idea. Then they could
have a really simple real-time OS, devoted entirely to doing radio stuff.
Not only would it make for a better radio, it would dramatically reduce the
support load on the manufacturers, who would have only a single
well-understood hardware configuration to debug and enhance.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352