At 15:41 11/20/2011, Peter G. Viscarola wrote:
Now if we could JUST lose the Firewire and USB interfaces, and replace them with Gigabit Ethernet we'd really be in great shape.

The problem with Ethernet is that you can have arbitrary delays due to collisions, so real-time performance cannot be guaranteed. Firewire is designed to meet real-time processing needs. Sad to say, I don't think there is enough demand to ever see a real-time Windows system. OS/2 was a real-time system related to Windows, but it has not done well recently. I believe there are real-time versions of *nix, but it would be a bit strange to require not only PSDR but all the ancillary vendors to change their support platform from Windows to *nix. I would say the stifling of folks jumping on the SDR bus would be severely impacted. I am surprised that I ended up mentioning OS/2 in a contemporary, leading-edge setting....

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     Programming since 1959
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html