On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Dave Gomberg <da...@wcf.com> wrote:

> ... I don't think there is enough demand to ever see a real-time Windows
> system....

Dave, I'm no OS expert, but I don't think any modern multi-tasking
multi-threaded general purpose OS can ever really meet the requirements of
a true real-time system. The OS is supposed to guarantee that a process
deterministically achieves certain scheduling deadlines. This requires minimal
interrupt latency and minimal scheduling latency, which in turn means that
things get out of hand if too many processes are sending interrupts and
grabbing cycles.

Neal's purpose-built PCs use Windows but get good throughput by stripping
out lots of ancillary stuff and concentrating on running just Flex
software. This could presumably be carried to another level by running a
real-time OS instead of Windows.  RTOS's include QNX and RTLinux, as well
as some cell-phone OS's etc. These systems are not for use as
general-purpose windowing systems, but rather for embedded applications,
where they find wide applicability; a typical example is in routers. QNX is
found not only in the little wireless box in your bedroom, but also in huge
routers with massively parallel processing, handling tens of thousands of
connections.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352