Rick McClelland, AA5S <aa5s.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a CW operator and my only rig is a Flex 1500.  In general, I'm quite
> pleased with the radio but I have noticed (as have others) that I make
> many, many errors when sending CW with the built-in keyer on the Flex
> 1500.  For quite some time,  I attributed this to operator error until I
> had a brief email exchange with VE3EGA regarding the Flex 1500.  He
> mentioned the possibility of sub-second delays in the CW transmit chain.
>
> To test his theory, I purchased the excellent K1EL keyer and built the
> kit.  With the new keyer installed,  I notice that there is perhaps a
> quarter of a second delay between the side-tone from the K1EL keyer and
> the side-tone of the Flex 1500.  I now regularly turn off the side-tone on
> the Flex 1500 and use only the K1EL keyer and its side-tone and I notice
> that I make far fewer errors when sending CW.   This is perhaps useful
> information for other CW operators experiencing similar difficulties when
> sending CW with the Flex 1500.

I've noticed a great improvement as the PowerSDR software has developed, but
until recently have shied away from using CW. After a discussion with a
friend who trained as a marine radio op and had to be able to send with no
sidetone, I now use no sidetone(with a straight key) and find good accuracy.

I checked my accuracy using one of the automated decoders and using sidetone
it was gibberish but 100% OK without.

My opinion is that with digital processing it is impossible to eliminate the
delay completely, so if sidetone is preferred it needs to be generated at
the key.

Now after listening to the weekend contest I'm raring to go!

--
Brian Duffell G3VGZ G8AOE
Yarm