Hello Brian,

> My opinion is that with digital processing it is impossible to eliminate the
> delay completely, so if sidetone is preferred it needs to be generated at
> the key.
It is not impossible at all. One just has to avoid errors.
The PowerSDR software runs fine with a Delta44 soundcard
and a Softrock receiver with a delay from antenna to
loudspeaker of 13 ms with the smallest buffers:
http://sm5bsz.com/lir/rxdel/3-26sdr/sdr.htm
For good filters you might want 1024 DSP buffer size but
that does not mean a long delay. ou should expect 38 ms.
I do not know how the TX side is managed in PowerSDR, but
in Linrad, my own SDR package, the delay from keydown
to full power out is 11 ms:
http://sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/tx/cw/qsk.htm
That was in July 2008. Then the delay from antenna to
loudspeaker was 53 ms because at that time Linrad could not use
ASIO drivers. Today the delay from keydown to loudspeaker
output is below 50 ms with good filters and ones own tx
rather than a side-tone in the earphones. One can actually
hear the echo if there is aurora or a meteor reflection
when operating 144 MHz.

SDR is not yet a mature technology. With time it will be
evident that your assumption is wrong. SDRs actually have
the potential to provide better QSK performance than
oldfashioned analog receivers because crystal filters
are IIR filters while SDRs use FIR filters.

763

Leif / SM5BSZ