Aaren -

The "it works on 80, dies on 20"  very much sounds like RF getting into the
computer.  Others can give you a list of things to check, but to start with
- you need a short solid ground connection between the 5000 and the PC.  RF
in the shack may result from high swr, keeping RF off of the outside of the
coax when it comes into the shack (using  *Toroidal Chokes* on the coax)
can help a lot.

73

Ken  AC0HO