Dave

As you know the VU5K is no longer in production, but there may still be some available from Flex. It is their intention to support existing units now in use, at least for a while.

The only route left is to use external transverters. The 5000A is set up for this. Note, that if you get the VU5K installed you cannot use other 2m or 70cm transverters with the VU5K. I only found this out after purchasing a German Kuhne TR 144H +40 2m transverter. I have since purchased a Flex 1500 to use with the Kuhne transverter. There are several transverters available from Down East Microwave, SSB Electronic and others. Most of these transverters are designed for weak signal work and cover the lower portion of the band.

Initially, I had some issues with the VU5K, but these seem to be resolved now. I have been able to tweak the setup to use the VU5K on weak signal work with success.

Terry