I was recently offered a fully specced SDR-1000 for a price I couldn't refuse. It came with 100 watt amp, auto ATU, Presonus Firebox sound card and all the cables and driver CDs.

For the past few evenings I have been trying to get the parallel port connection to work. I did all the things recommended in the troubleshooting section of the manual - LPT port addresses consistent, checked all the connections on the 25-pin lead, tried two LPT ports on separate PCs, etc - but no success at all, there was no connection between the PC and the SDR-1000. PowerSDR 2.2.6 just would not work: no relays latching, nothing.

I vaguely remembered seeing a comment about loading up PowerSDR 1.x and trying that. I downloaded and ran 1.8.0, hit the start button and away it went. I connected up a cheap USB sound card in RX mode and had a listen about the bands. It sounded pretty good, even with that cheap sound card. I then ran 2.2.6 again, hit the start button and away it went.

OK, it's only receive so far, but I'll get the Firebox connected and running and then I'll have a go at the TX.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that there's a file or two needed for the SDR-1000 in 1.8.0 which isn't in the 2.2.6 setup install.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

73 and thanks in advance

Bob Towers
MM0RKT