The 5000 is a great radio and will continue to be for years in the future (I own one myself). PowerSDR will be maintained and upgraded as well, if nothing else because the 1500 and 3000 use it and they are extremely good sellers for Flex. I have ordered a 6700 but will continue to keep the 5000 as it works wonderfully well. Who knows, I may not like the 6700 or feel it is more radio than I need and I could sell it and revert back to the 5000 and use it for years in the future. I don’t ever see myself using a radio without the display capabilities of PowerSDR. Jim K4JAF

-----Original Message----- From: Donald Norris
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:02 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] [Flex radio] Newbie Follow-up

I agree with John's analysis and had hoped that a 5500 would be in the mix
but I think not.  I have a completely tricked out 5000 that works great with
the latest PowerSDR.

I also understand why the company went in the direction of self-contained
computing power.  Not having to fuss with whatever flavor PC a customer uses
definitely helps their support and getting away from being dependent on the
Firewire comm link stops all the version, chip incompatibilities.  Flex
mentions virtualization technology in their product write-ups which is the
way most businesses are going to achieve the max from their computing
systems.   Also, using a socket driven, 1 Gbit Ethernet link helps with the
PC interface and is a natural progression to the network enabled radio
system Flex envisions.  Therein lies a potential resource for user
customization as the socket is nothing more than a data source.  Hopefully
the data protocol will be released by Flex to allow for users to create
their own displays if they have resources and knowledge.  And yes, I realize
that it is a two way comm and you don't want users sending "bad" commands to
the 6000 series.  Just something for the good folks at Flex to consider.

Don
N1KGK