Many don't bother with RTFM, but want someone to re-write the Quick-Start. If someone can't be bothered with reading the quick start section, do you really think they can read the re-write?

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: Mickey Baker
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:21 PM
To: Michael Walker
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz ; N1naz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Owners Manual

There are a number of categories of documentation. It seems that this
discussion is around user documentation.

Lots of hams like documentation with a nice "thud factor" - the noise it
makes when you drop it on a desk. I've seen a suggestion that the user's
guide be "printed out" and then updated. I'm sorry guys, but that's an
artifact of the last century and there's no need for it anymore. The
binder, index and table of contents may be comfortable to you, but the
reality is that an online search has made them obsolete!

"The Manual" rarely exists for rapidly changing products. (Have you used
Microsoft Office lately?) There are web site searches where you can find
the details you need. There are Quick Start guides that show the major
"plug things here" features. Quick start, use the radio and software, and
you'll find out what you need to know pretty quickly.

The best documentation that exists for PowerSDR is in the release notes and
here, on this list and on Knowledge Base articles on the FlexRadio help
site. This is a searchable body of work and, generally, almost anything
that you'd want to know is covered here. If it's not, FRS employs a few
really good people to fill in the knowledge gaps - which they do, in
writing here. Details, like making Ham Radio Deluxe or fldigi, CWSkimmer
work are available. If not, ask in this forum and the answer will be
preserved here for all.

I haven't opened the product manuals a half dozen times since I've owned
FlexRadio products - over 3 years.

I once heard a wise software developer say that the user interface and
direct on-screen feedback to the user is the most important documentation
and to beware of software that comes with a thick book.

We are, by the definition of ham radio, a technical group. PowerSDR changes
quite frequently. We can't expect a re-write of the manual every minor
version. That is what release notes are for!  RTFRN!

Subjectively, I believe that PowerSDR is straightforward and very easy to
figure out. Each new feature in each progressive release is identified in
the release notes. On-screen features are relatively simple to understand.
Information on improving FireWire performance is on this list and on the
support site.

Learn to use general searches, smart searches and site searches. This will
save you time, get you up to date information and save room on your desk or
bookshelf.

And, more importantly, let FlexRadio Systems do what they do best - deliver
spectacular, leading edge products that provide a platform for use to use
in our hobby in a manner that is Flexible. Who needs everything in one
book? We have this list and the support site!

Now, we need an agreement that Tim and Dudley will never ride in the same
car together...

73,

Mickey N4MB
(I've owned a FLEX 1500 and 5000A... waiting patiently on my 6500. I don't
care if it comes with a manual or not, figuring this stuff out is part of
the fun of ham radio!)