On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 11:25, Curtis L. Olson wrote:

> --------> Tony <---------
>
> Even after these fixes though, JSBSim flips upside down and flags a
> 'mishap'[1] at CL77.

OK, I'll take a look.

> There is something about this airport that still confuses the JSBSim
> initialization code.  Perhaps it is the steep slope of the runway?

AFAIK, JSBSim doesn't have any concept of runway slope at this point
but as you say, anything is possible.

> [1] note the careful use of wording to avoid confusing with an
> application or computer crash. :-)

Duly noted

Just for the record, what's most likely happening here is that since
JSBSim senses that the gear are underground on the first update(), the
gear code calculate a reaction force based on how far underground they
are.  That reaction force pushes the aircraft up, often times gaining
enough momentum in the process to leave the ground.  Then the result is
pretty predictable, the aircraft experiences an accident.  (it will
almost certainly involve a complete hull loss, therefore it's an
accident)

AFAIK, There are currently no limits on how far the gear can be
compressed, so the reaction forces can get very large.

> Regards,
>
> Curt.
> --
> Curtis Olson   IVLab / HumanFIRST Program       FlightGear Project
> Twin Cities    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Minnesota      http://www.menet.umn.edu/~curt   http://www.flightgear.org
>

> Cameron Moore writes:
> > * [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Curt Olson) [2002.02.22 12:26]:

> > > We are actually doing this.  We don't initialize the FDM until the
> > > scenery subsystem is reporting a valid ground elevation.  However, for
> > > some starting locations it appears that the initial reported elevation
> > > is incorrect the first frame and then updated to the correct elevation
> > > the second frame.
> >
> > This may be totally unrelated, but ...  The FPE issue I posted about the
> > other day is triggered when the tile manager is initialized.  Could
> > it be that tile manager is getting a bogus starting point due to this
> > FPE bug, and that bogus value is making it's way to the FDM's?
> > --
> > Cameron Moore
> > / If a person with multiple personalities threatens \
> > \  suicide, is that considered a hostage situation? /

Tony Peden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
We all know Linux is great ... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
-- attributed to Linus Torvalds