Paul Deppe writes:
> A related question - after rebuilding with the makefile system, is there a
> way to "make install" only the files which have changed?  For example,
> suppose there is only a change to a .cxx file in plib/ssg.  I do a "make",
> which rebuilds only libplibssg.a.  But when I do a "make install", all the
> header files are also installed with new dates.  Then when I rebuild SimGear
> and FlightGear, make thinks that the header files have changed and
> recompiles everything which depends on the header files (which is just about
> everything).  This effect ripples down from plib to SimGear to FlightGear to
> Atlas.
>
> It would save a lot of compile time if one could "make install" only the
> files which have changed.  Is there a way to do this?

Beyond identifying and copying just the changed files individually
yourself by hand, I've never seen a way in unix to do this.

If you know that there were changes only to a particular subdirectory,
you could cd into and run make; make install from there.  You don't
have to run make or make install only from the top level directory.
That's one way you can often somewhat limit the number of changed
install files and contain the cascading dependency effect.

Otherwise, it's a good time to go refill your cup of coffee or maybe
poke your head out into the living room and confirm to your family
that you still exist.  (Expect some surprised looks the first few
times you do this though.) :-)