Erik Hofman writes:

>I'm realy impressed by the effect of the code. The higher I get, the
>higher the framerate! This makes me believe we could actually enlarge
>the view range when getting at a higher altitude.

Cool glad it works for you

but IMHO what is needed are "imposter tiles"

"imposters" are where you use a 'texture only" substitute
for the geometry that are computed on the fly 'often enough'
This is 'radical' LOD but in our case the tiles out on the
boundary are really just 'little slivers' and there is no need for
anyting else.  I would think that we could easily lump many
tiles together into these impostors to form a 2 level ring of
'near' and 'far' "impostors" around our current scenery.

This will of course work best for slow flying aircraft but I don't
see any need for these "impostors" to need to be updated
ie regenerated any more often then say once per tile change
for the "near impostors" and once every 'several' tile changes
for the 'far impostors''.  This of course could be spread out over
tile change period so the effect on the frame rate should be quite
small < certainly less then the improvement the new hitlist gives >.

Doing something like this would allow flying with an effective tile
radius of at least an order of magnitude greater then what you
can do now at almost the same fps :-)

Cheers

Norman