On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:18:17 +1000,
David Findlay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:31, you wrote:
> > David Findlay writes:
> >  > This might be of use to us. Could we include this sort of data in
> >  > the FGFS scenery?
> >
> > No, we cannot, with our current approach -- it would create far too
> > many polygons.  Even moving to VMap1 pretty-much kills the scenery
> > engine, and that just adds major regional roads and more detailed
> > polygons.  The only way to get something like that with current
> > technology in is to generate giant textures for each tile.
>
> Could we handle it with some form of arbitary level of detail? i.e. at
> a certain distance chance roads to lines, then make them disappear
> completely further away? I suppose similiar would need to be done to
> the terrain to drop the detail level there too. Thanks,

..in RL, this is also a function of _clean_ air;  In the winter
around the Lofoten/Vesteraalen archipelago on the Northern Norwegian
coast, tourists often miss by orders of 10 to 40, on judging distances,
as in "2 km" for 50 km.

..typical conditions:  Fresh high pressure regions in the first
couple of days after a warm front has passed, washing out the air.
Say -5°C, calm to light NW thru E winds, cavok, drying up as moisture
is caught in the snow.  Typically gone on the 3'rd to 5'th day, as
"smog" can be seen over villages.

..believe those of you guys who has been to the Antarctic or Arctic,
Alaska, Greenland, or possibly the western coast of Canada, may
have seen this.  And, for the record, a lot of you urban guys will
tell me you have seen this too, and miss by a 2 digit order.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: