Andy Ross writes:

>FWIW, my interest in un-inlining stuff has nothing to do with runtime
>performance at all.

Understood but why didn't you just say this rather then talk about
runtime performance ??? < see below >

>What I want to see is for FlightGear to compile
>in something under 20 minutes on my machine.  Some parts are really
>just terribly slow to build.  JSBSim and UIUC are big culprits here,
>but the WeatherCM stuff and the Main directory aren't far behind.

WeatherCM can be bypassed with a configure switch

I believe that JSBSim and UIUC and othe FDMs can be cut out of t
he build  by deleteing their entries from the FDM / Makefile.am
and commenting out the appropriate lines in
 Main / fg_init.cxx  ::  void fgInitFDM()

and removing their link lib directives from Main / Makefile.am

You also have to #ifdef out UIUC aircraft_dir entries in
fg_props.cxx main.cxx and fg_init.cxx

This should speed up your YASim specific build time considerably

FWIW
Win2k 733 PIII 256 meg Cygwin without the above tricks

#! /bin/sh
# bootstrap.sh -- toplevel script for a fresh FlightGear Build
make clean
rm config.status
rm config.cache
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -W -Wall -march=i686"
./configure --with-network-olk=no --with-efence=no --with-logging=yes --with
-jpeg-factory=yes
make

nhv@SFDEV3::/src/FlightGear% time ./bootstrap.sh
real    19m42.347s
user    17m30.419s
sys     2m18.101s

So it looks like < 20 minutes is a reality on somewhat 'modest' machines
And Cygwin is a slow poke :-)

FWIW_2 with above tricks for optimized YASIM build times

./configure (as above plus) --with-new-enviroment

nhv@SFDEV3::/src/FlightGear% time ./bootstrap.sh
real    11m39.212s
user    10m0.648s
sys     1m40.002s