Norman Vine writes:

 > However some code fragments run 100's or even 1000's of times per
 > iteration and these fragments should be studied on an individual basis
 > and not just automatically un-inlined because it is in 'vogue' :-)

It's not a question of vogue.  Currently, we start with an enormous
amount of inlined code by default.  I'm suggesting that we start with
nothing (or almost nothing) inlined, then inline only what can be
proven to help through profiling and timing tests -- uninlined until
proven necessary, rather than inlined until proven unnecessary.  This
should make the executable smaller, compile times faster, headers more
readable, and debuggers more useful, all as side-effects.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson