Andy Ross writes:

>[* What, exactly, does game mode do?  My impression was that it simply
>    set the video mode through GDI before creating the OpenGL context.
>    This isn't an optimization, per se.  Can someone more familiar with
>    GLUT comment?]

In Windows it does

    status = ChangeDisplaySettings(&currentDm->devmode,
      CDS_FULLSCREEN);

Which is the FAST lane to the underlying video
in that the Win32 Windowing manager is bypassed
for this window < ie all the region clipping code etc. >
so the speedup is not a driver bug !

on X it does < no idea what this means >

  if (__glutMotifHints == None) {
    __glutMotifHints = XSGIFastInternAtom(__glutDisplay, "_MOTIF_WM_HINTS",
      SGI_XA__MOTIF_WM_HINTS, 0);
    if (__glutMotifHints == None) {
      __glutWarning("Could not intern X atom for _MOTIF_WM_HINTS.");
    }
  }

  /* Game mode window is a toplevel window. */
  XSetWMProtocols(__glutDisplay, win, &__glutWMDeleteWindow, 1);

Cheers

Norman