David Megginson writes:

>Norman Vine writes:
>
> > So ???
>
>So it hurts development a lot.  Developers have limited time to
>contribute to FlightGear, and if the program takes always takes 5 or
>10 minutes to rebuild (and has to be rebuilt, say, 10 times to test
>and debug each change), we all suffer because a lot less code gets
>written and debugged.

SO developers can certainly use the preprocessor to help them
around these kind of things rather then burning frame rate !!

"Use the Tool Luke" :-))

>There's an easy solution here -- remove FGGlobals::get_current_view
>completely and have the callers use FGGlobals::get_view_mgr to get the
>current view.

OK same thing as my #ifdef

>The right solution, though, is to find out *why* so
>many parts of the code are using this method.

Indeed :-)

The main caller <75%> is in the tile paging system
fgRenderFrame makes 7 calls per loop or 13% for 13% of total

I'm working on a patch of the affected files
< mostly in the low-level scenery stuff >
that I'll send to Curt

0.03    0.00  450114/3455357     fgRenderFrame(void) [3]
0.15    0.00 2527490/3455357     FGTileEntry::prep_ssg_node(Point3D const &,
float) [10]

[5]      5.8    0.20    0.00 3455357
FGGlobals::get_current_view(void) const [5]

Norman