Update to my own comments:

Julian Foad wrote:

> The spinning propellor (on c172-3d) needs a bit of work.
>
> It spins even when the model is parked and the engine stopped.  If pause mode
> is on, it spins more slowly but still does not stop.

That works now (it stops).  Maybe I didn't have that recent fix (in JSBSim).

> With magnetos off but starter engaged, the tachometer shows about 600 RPM
> (i.e. 10 revs per second).  The propellor spins at one and a bit revs per
> second.  I think the propellor is supposed to be directly driven from the
> engine crankshaft, but I'm not sure.

Still wrong, but not David's fault.  Due to mis-use of "update(multi_loop)" - see
separate message.

> The two blades are not twisted relative to each other: one blade is pushing
> and the other pulling.

David has fixed this.

> The transparency feature is not working for me, so the propellor disc suddenly
> appears as an opaque object.  I have applied David Megginson's
> plib-smoothing.dif and my plib (from CVS) already appears to have the
> equivalent of the transparency patch.

I had two copies of plib installed - oops!  Transparency and smoothing are now working
for me.

> The disc that fades in at higher speeds is solid grey for me.  It needs to
> have a (radial) colour profile that matches the blades, i.e. mostly black with
> some red bits.  The expected grey appearance will come automatically when a
> partially transparent black disc is displayed over a light background (sky
> etc.).

Apologies - it looks pretty good as it is, both in sunlight and at night, now that I
see it as intended - i.e. very feint, so the colouring of it is not too important.  In
fact, the light grey colour of it looks like a highlight reflection off the blades.
The only situation in which it goes wrong is in an external view, it cuts out the
cloud texture (so it looks like a solid grey disc) - but ground textures show through
it perfectly, and both ground and clouds show through properly in the pilot's eye view.

Is there a way to make the prop fade out and the disc fade in as RPM changes?
Something like <animation type="transparency"> ?  I tried making the propeller
material transparent in the .ac file, and that works except that behind a transparent
propeller blade, the clouds and some parts of the airframe disappear (engine cowling,
tail fin, ...) while the rest remains (seats, wings, ...).  Yet behind the disc, the
whole of the airframe is OK and only the clouds disappear.

OK, I'd better step back from 3D modelling.  I've never done it and this seems to be
one of those tricky areas that you modellers learn about.

- Julian