Jonathan Polley wrote:
> I cannot redirect stderr via 'command 2> file' on my Mac, so the easy
> solution was out.  I did find that the following command works:

Rubbish.  Sure you can.  You just have to run a real shell.  :)

Basically, this is a long-standing misfeature of csh, which never
existed in the original bourne shell and which happily has never been
emulated.  There is no syntax for redirecting stderr any differently
from stdout.  Bill Joy apparently never needed it, and no one else
(over 20 years!) ever bothered to add it.

I have no idea -- none whatsoever -- why Unix vendors insist on
shipping this dinosaur as the default shell when there are *so* many
better options available as free software.  I guess Apple decided not
to buck the trend and try to fix the command line they were trying so
hard to hide. :)

Seriously, I'd be shocked beyond measure if bash didn't build and
install just fine on OS X.  Use it, it's vastly better than csh.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA