Alex Perry writes:
> > James A. Treacy writes:
> >  > This brings up something I've been wondering for a while. It appears we
> >  > can add roads and rivers. Why, then, isn't this the default?
>
> David replies:
> > Unfortunately, to get roads, railroads, and rivers, we have to give up
> > some quality in the terrain mesh.  You don't notice much in flat
> > terrain, but sometimes the mountains come out looking funny.
>
> Can we do it on a tile-by-tile basis ?  If the range of altitude from
> minimum to maximum (in one tile) is less than 200 ft then do roads because
> the terrain will look essentially flat from any sensible altitude.

I believe we can largely work around these issues.  If you treat a
road as any other land use area, then David is right, we get killed by
our triangulator trying to produce balanced triangles.  But if we
prevent the triangulator from splitting the road edge segments then
this problem goes away.

However, we really need a better algorithm to turn a reduce a regular
grid of elevation points to a TIN so we don't need to have the
triangulator create additional triangles to make the mesh look good.
There are straightforward ways to do all this, but they take time to
impliment and I have a lot of other stuff higher on my own priority
list unfortunately.

Regards,