On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 05:52, David Megginson wrote:
> Tony Peden writes:
>
>  > It looks like this may have helped crosswind handling on the ground
>  > considerably.  The relatively small amount of testing I've done shows
>  > that the c172 will sit still in up to a 15 knot crosswind and turn very
>  > slowly in 20 knots.
>  >
>  > Let us know what you think.
>
> I'll test it more today, but it must have been a fairly recent change
> that put the nosewheel into the NONE group.

I didn't look at everything, but the nose wheel was in NONE and the
mains CASTERED as far back as I looked (which went back to the beginning
of time for the configurable gear).  I can't explain the CASTERED mains,
but I understood what you call steer groups to be brake groups.  It
never occurred to me that that would affect the steering control.
(and maybe it didn't, changing the mains from CASTERED to fixed could
have a significant effect).  I need to experiment with it some more.

> I have some photocopies from a C172R POH, so I can also correct some
> of the arms, but I didn't want to do that without discussing it with
> you (Tony) first.  Using the firewall in front of the pilot as the
> reference datum (as both the POH and c172.xml do), here are the arms,
> or x-positions, of various masses:
>
> * Usable fuel:
>   38in (c172.xml has 56in)

Hmm, I got my numbers from a POH as well.  I'll have to double check.

> * Pilot and front passenger:
>   34-46in, typically 37in (c172.xml has 36in, which is OK)
>
> * Rear passengers:
>   73in (not in c172.xml)
>
> * Baggage area 1:
>   typically 95in (not in c172.xml)
>
> * Baggage area 2:
>   typically 123in (not in c172.xml)
>

> The empty weight and arm (i.e. CG) obviously vary depending on
> configuration.  Here are the default values for a C172R:
>
> * Empty weight (including oil and unusuable fuel):
>   1639lb (c172.xml has 1500lb)
>
> * Empty arm (CG):
>   39.3in (c172.xml has 41in)
>
> Here are the current values for our club's C172R, which has a 180HP
> upgrade:
>
> * Empty weight (including oil and unusable fuel):
>   1681.5lb
>
> * Empty arm (CG):
>   39.1in
>

> All the best,
>

> David
>
> --
> David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/

Tony Peden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
We all know Linux is great ... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
-- attributed to Linus Torvalds