Jim Wilson wrote:
> It isn't tedious at all, we can offset the origin to where we want
> without messing with the ac file *and* it won't affect the
> animation.

Cool.  Uh, how? :)

> Having the FDM origin at the center of gravity should improve the
> appearance of the 3D modeling since pitching of the model would appear
> more realistic.

It wouldn't matter.  The FDMs do the dynamics for you.  You could put
the origin of the model on Mars* and the model would rotate correctly
on the screen so long as the origins agreed.  The aircraft rotates
about its "real" c.g., which has nothing to do with either the 3D
model coordinate conventions or the YASim coordinate origin.

* Well, not on Mars due to precision issues.  Maybe Sri Lanka.

> It could be that the brakes are too good.  If you locked the wheels
> up at 40kts the 747 _maybe_ would stop that quickly...not sure.  It
> is quite a mass, as you know.

I think the tires get a 0.6 dynamic friction coefficient.  The way the
physics works, the mass doesn't matter.  Anything (aircraft, trucks,
bicycles, roller blades) sitting in 1G of gravity on a flat surface
decelerates by the same amount.  The reason the real aircraft can't
stop via wheel braking alone is because the brakes would melt.  The
tires could stop it just fine if you could put all the kinetic energy
somewhere.

The reason the pitch changes so much when braking is because the nose
gear travels too far.  Try the gear compression fix I mentioned
earlier.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA