Tony Peden wrote:
> BTW, you will rarely see the c.g. used as a reference point for
> dimensions on aircraft.  First of all, it moves in flight.  Second of
> all, it's very difficult to actually point to its location.

That's my intuition too.  David is correct, though, that most
lightplane POH's use a nominal center of gravity as the origin for
their weight & balance tables.  The front seat is N meters in front,
the fuel tank is M meters behind, etc...

But still, the goal here is to make communication between 3D artists
and aero modellers easy, not necessarily to adhere to pre-existing
conventions.  An artist using Blender is much more likely to be
working from a 3-view or a photograph; the c.g. isn't marked on these.

Picking an easily recognized spot on the airframe seems like the best
convention.  Whether that be the nose or not, I don't much care.
Other good choices would be the nose gear base, wing root, tail, top
of the vertical stabilizer, etc...  The nose seemed straightforward to
me.

In this case, the simplest solution is to bring up the 747 model in a
(registered) copy of AC3D, drag it around so the nose tip lies exactly
on the origin, and save it.  I can do all but the last step. :)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA