Manuel Bessler wrote:
> BTW: What is the difference between Speedbrakes and Spoilers?

Typically "spoilers" refer only to flaps on the top of a wing.  They
spoil the lift generated and allow the plane to fly at a higher angle
of attack for the same lift, and thus descend more steeply (or remain
on the ground after landing).  They also create a little drag of their
own, but that is not their primary purpose.

A speedbrake, on the other hand, is a pure drag device.  Most of them
are just flat plates that pop up when deployed.  The A-4 has one on
either side of the tail, and the Harrier has one on its underbelly.
These things don't do anything but create drag.

In the context of jetliners, I've seen the terms used interchangably
to mean what I'm calling spoilers.

> > Part of this is due to a blindingly stupid bug with ground effect that
> > I discovered this weekend.
>
> Is there a way I could apply this to 0.8.0 which I currently have?

Only by bugging Curt to make a new release. :)

To be fair, building FlightGear from CVS really is no harder than
building the source tarballs.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA