> Yes, several people reported a completely grey 2D panel with Radeon
> 7000/7500 cards with the DRI drivers.  I also get this (with XFree86 4.1.0)
> and didn't manage to find a fix posted.  The problem goes away when
> software rendering is used.  It also affects the 3D panel instrument
> needles, which flicker, and disappear when the view is set exactly straight
> forwards.  The cub is not affected by this though.

I think we have already identified this as related to the depth buffer
on two elements (panel and background) which have the same depth --
then, depending on rounding errors, one or the other will be rendered
on top.

May I suggest a straight-forward solution:

- For 2D panels, disable GL_DEPTH_TEST altogether. It just doesn't
  make sense. The only thing you have to be careful with is that all
  scenery is drawn before the panel is banged on top.

- For 3D panels, they should be made "real" 3D panels -- needles
  should be some 2mm closer to the viewer than the scale. If you're
  worried about performance of the many glVertex3* commands, you can
  glPushMatrix, introduce a glTranslate, render the object with
  glVertex2*, then glPopMatrix. I think this is a much more robust
  approach than the polygon offset, which seems to be driver-specific
  (sorry, still haven't had time to look at the GL specs).

What do you think?

  Andras